Saturday, December 6, 2008

Run # 15 - Austin Browncoats


The Cause: Austin Browncoats, founded in 2007, is a 501(c)(3), tax-exempt non-profit located in Austin, TX. Austin Browncoats work to end violence and discrimination in all sectors of society. We place special focus on working alongside young women and children because, given the opportunity and proper education, young women and children can help create a better world for all beings. Much like our passion for the amazing works of Joss Whedon, such as "Firefly", we are passionate about our causes and raising funds for our charities, including Equality Now, SafePlace, Heart House and Emancipet.

- from austinbrowncoats.com

Donate here.

The Run: I wanted to try something new tonight and I did that by adding free weights to this run. Using just 5 lbs. dumbbells in each hand, I ran just over a mile to see how it would feel. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be but I adjusted quickly and noted my increased heart rate and exertion level. Hopefully my continued use of weights will help me more than hinder me. However, I am still researching the pros and cons as I've read the benefits many believe in as well as the detriments.

Up Next: Avenue Z Food Drive

1 comment:

Marlene said...

Great idea running with weights - not sure I could handle it, though. I get annoyed when I have to carry my gloves. :)