Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Run # 4 - Homeless Nation

The Cause: Homeless Nation is a non-profit endeavor founded by Daniel Cross, a documentary filmmaker whose films deal with social justice and Canada's homeless. In the making of his films "The Street" and "S.P.I.T. - Squeegee Punks In Traffic", hundreds of Montreal's homeless community shared their many, amazing stories with him. So many, that he was not able to fit them all into his films.
He conceived of a forum where these stories would not be lost. Where Canada's homeless community could share their stories and refuse to be ignored. A place to create equal access to online media, of sharing truths through audio/visual content for everyone to learn from. To have these stories told as an on-going dialogue for social awareness and positive change.
In 2006, with the help of Dan's film company partner Mila Aung-Thwin (producer), Brett Gaylor (filmmaker and web architect) and Anuj Khosla (administrator), www.homelessnation.org went live.- From homelessnation.org


The Run: I'm a total night person. It's 2:31 AM here as I update this post and I'm wide awake. Thankfully it's Thanksgiving week and things are pretty slow because I am very slow this week. Speaking of slowness, my run tonight fell into that category but I sort of planned it that way. I am easing back into running every day again and I recall how tough it got at times in the past, especially when I'd choose to run alone late at night like tonight.

I used to always head out around 11:30 and only run a mile or two, but tonight I ran a bit further for about 25 minutes. I'll keep adding more and more time and at some point I definitely want to be marathon ready again in the next few months. I did some complaining to myself on the run tonight and I realized how trivial my complaints were while doing it. I was whining because the wind was bitter cold (to me at least having just moved here from Phoenix) and I wanted to turn around early and head back home.

That's when I began to think more about this run's cause. Here I was complaining about the cold and thinking about running back home while thousands are out on the streets tonight with no place to run to at all. It made me think about how I take my house for granted and how I couldn't fathom being forced to sleep under a bridge or on a park bench.

I'm thankful for Chris Brogan's post that alerted me to Homeless Nation, and I think he makes a great point when he suggested that, especially this year, you or I may know someone forced into homelessness.

Thanks for continuing to read and for all of the support.

Up Next: Tweetsgiving

1 comment:

Stacey said...

I think it is awesome you are running each run for a cause. What a great idea! And this one is a great cause. I take a warm house for granted too, thanks for reminding me of those who are less fortunate, especially at this time of year! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!