Friday, November 28, 2008

Run # 7 - Pancreatic Cancer Foundation



The Cause: I am not an avid reader. I can honestly say I haven't read more than 10 books in my entire life from start to finish. At least not ones that have really moved me. Especially since I read books so infrequently, I cannot say I am often inspired by them at all. But I cannot recall being more touched by the most recent book I read, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch with Jeffrey Zaslow. My words would not come close to the great advice on living life Dr. Pausch provides in the book as he relives his childhood through tremendous storytelling. All I can do is urge you to read the book or watch the various clips of his lecture, specials with Oprah and Diane Sawyer, and various other appearances on YouTube. It will be well worth your time. For me, it inspired tonight's run for the Michael Rolfe Pancreatic Cancer Foundation. The Foundation "serves as a catalyst for the early diagnosis and ultimate cure of pancreatic cancer by funding advanced medical research, public awareness initiatives, and educational programs. The Foundation also seeks to increase the quality and quantity of emotional and psychological support services for pancreatic cancer patients and their families through partnerships with organizations that specialize in this type of care."- (From rolfefoundation.org).

Donate here.

The Run: I really enjoyed this run for this cause. Heck, I even did something I rarely do after runs: I stopped and walked the last quarter mile or so to give myself more time to just think. I thought a lot about courage, running through brick walls, dreaming big, telling the truth, accepting criticism, head fakes, leaving it all out on the field, birthday cakes, inspiring music, hot air balloons, laughing, persistence, not being able to touch love and hope, among other things. If you have no idea how all of these things go together, take my advice above, and take a run right afterwards. Then tell me how it made you feel. And if you're one step ahead of me, answer this question or tell me it's significane: Did you eat the Thin Mints yet?

Up Next: GiveIndia.org.

No comments: