Thursday, November 27, 2008

Run # 6 - Epilepsy Outreach


The Cause: I've had relatives, co-workers, and classmates who've lived with epilepsy, enduring it's effects from childhood to adulthood and I've always been inspired to see the lengths they've gone in combating it. While I've also had a close friend who has had seizures, I don't believe most people know how common epilepsy is. The American Epilepsy Outreach Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in honor of Emmett Leyden, a young boy, living with epilepsy. The Foundation’s mission is to raise the public’s awareness of epilepsy through advocacy and education, as well as provide support for those living with epilepsy and their families. We strive to eliminate the stigma and dispel the myths surrounding epilepsy. (From epilepsyoutreach.org).

Donate
here.

The Run: I read blogs recently and today that described Thanksgiving morning runs of various types, from Turkey Trots to more competitive 5K's, etc. The notion of rising early to get a run in to prepare for the feast was one I liked the sound of, but did not make happen. As I've said, I'm naturally a night runner and Thanksgiving night was no different. I ran around my neighborhood after a day full of eating and it was much better than I'd thought it would be. I'm very thankful for the ability to run and enjoy the outdoors here in November as I know I wouldn't have enjoyed a night run in my hometown of Minneapolis today. I'd also like to thank Melanie here who let me know of a cause she would run for that made me decide to run for this tonight.

Up Next: Michael Rolfe Pancreatic Cancer Foundation. I thought of this cause after reading a great book I suggest to everyone: The Last Lecture.

1 comment:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Great run and thanks! Sounds like it was the perfect way to work off a Thankgiving feast! I have to read that book - The Last Lecture. Seen the video and was absolutely inspired. Thanks again! :D